Tuesday 31 March 2009

CAREERS SCOTLAND EXCELLENCE AWARDS

Careers Scotland Excellence Awards celebrated in 2008 the progress of people throughout the country who have changed their lives and transformed their careers with support from Careers Scotland.
I am a female Brazilian teacher with Portuguese as my mother tongue, was working as a voluntary tutor on the ESOL course at Angus College when I first became aware of the services Careers Scotland could offer.
Since my arrival in Scotland I had wanted to use my skills as a teacher with English Language qualifications. However, despite having the teaching qualification I acquired in Brazil verified through the General Teaching Council, I found it difficulty in finding paid employment. It was at this point I contacted Careers Scotland.
Careers Scotland staff worked with me to formalise the skills I could offer to an employer and to prepare a focused and effective CV in my second language.
I took part in a series of practice interviews and a short time late I found my first paid job as an ESOL tutor with Angus Council's Community Learning Development.
Now fully qualified with the GTC, I work both as an ESOL tutor and as an EAL (English as an Additional Language) peripatetic teacher with Angus Council.

No comments: