Saturday 14 April 2007

TESOL Teachers

I would like to offer this space for all TESOL  (Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages) Teachers. It is a place to exchanging ideas, planning classes, bringing relevant topics, doubts, grammar, and lots of activities.
I have been using the internet since 1994 to research, to make friends and to be in touch with colleagues, but I never thought that one day I could have a blog and express myself world wide.
When I arrived in Scotland in 2006, I had lots of free time, and I thought to look for an Educational Community which I could belong to. I sent an e-mail to the principal of a school, Angus College in Arbroath, requesting a meeting to introduce myself. I received a phone call back on the same day confirming the date and time for the appointment. I was very glad to know that everybody in the school was friendly. In a few hours I was with the ESOL Team Leader and to the Librarian Manager. I was allowed to use the computers any time I wanted and I was welcomed to the Course and to the school community. For two weeks I observed the English classes, and then I started working as an English Teacher Volunteer with Polish, Russian and Czech Republic students. I would like to say that teaching English for speakers of other languages makes more sense when you are in an English speaker country. It was part of my job to support written English classes to prepare the students to write articles for a magazine, which was part of a project for the conclusion of the ESOL course. 

No comments: