Friday 15 February 2008

Family Learning

It has just begun a Family Learning Course in Arbroath. There were four mothers from different countries; Latvia, Lithuania, and Pakistan.

To introduce ourselves, we prepared a poster drawing maps. The childrem participated as part of integration with their parents.

As a tutor, I started intruducing myself. I drew Brazil and Scotland maps with my family members in each country. Everybody had a chance to say:

My name is........................

I am from..........................

I have been here since..................

I live with............................in..............................and in my home country are....................................

I want to learn English because...........................................

My goal is......................................................................

After presentation, the childrem left the room to have some activities with the staff. At this point, I explained that they should complete a form with personal information and also answer a test to give me an idea about their English level. Two ladies were able to answer all the questions, but the other two did not do the test. They were able to read and understand, but not to write.

WE used flash cards for alphabet, days of the week, months of the year, and word hunt to practice reading and writing and talk about general knowledge. It was very funny!

No comments: